Bed bugs have taken on various nicknames since their existence was discovered. Today, people all over the world refer to the bed bug as an “insect”; “parasite”; “lone hitchhiker”; “pest”; “overwintering pest”; “Cimex lectularius”; and “bloodsucker”.
The bed bug species exhibits deceptive behavior as part of a safety mechanism. Some people may not believe this theory, but it is a fact. What is behind the bed bug’s deceptive nature? Experts believe it has to do with detection. In order to avoid detection while sharing a home with humans, the bed bug needs to keep a low profile to avoid detection. They have reportedly been found hiding in tiny crevices in wood, carpet fibers, upholstery furniture, mattresses, box springs, and baseboards.
Bed bug infestations range from mild to moderate to severe, with the latter being the most serious. How are bed bug infestations rated? First and foremost, a visual inspection of the home is the only to determine the severity of the infestation. During the visual inspection, the inspector, usually a licensed exterminator or certified technician, searches the home from top to bottom, looking for bed bug hiding places. Once discovered, the inspector probes a little deeper to determine how many individual bed bugs are involved in the infestation.
How To Search And Find Bed Bug Hiding Places Indoors? How To Drive Them Out Of Their Cozy Hiding Place?
It cannot be stressed enough, the difficulty humans face when trying to determine if their home is infested with bed bugs is extraordinary. Fortunately, these individuals have access to one of the most effective bed bug detection tools? What is this bed bug detection tool? No other than a bed bug sniffing canine. Here is how inspectors locate bed bug hiding places in homes and businesses of all sizes.
- Know the bed bugs’ feeding schedule, which always takes place at night. The bed bug’s natural instinct allows them to differentiate between night and day.
- Set traps in suspicious areas at the edge of dusk. Do not return to the traps until daybreak or later. The most sophisticated traps utilize CO2 combined with heat to draw bed bugs inside, where they will get trapped in a sticky substance similar to an adhesive.
- Utilize a floor, upholstery, or clothing steam to push bed bugs out of tiny cracks, crevices, and other hiding places. Direct the steam at the suspicious area and wait for signs of activity.
- Remove unused clothes, bed linen, and other materials from closets, chests, dressers, and armoires, gently place in plastic bags, seal the top, and transport to the laundry room. Place the items in the washer and select the maximum heat cycle. Once the wash cycle is complete, transfer the items to the dryer, select the maximum heat cycle, and return when the dryer cycle comes to an end.
- Install heaters in suspicious areas like the host’s bedroom. Place the heaters a safe distance from walls, furniture, appliances, bedding, toys, and clothing.
It is unfortunate, what works for some victims of bed bugs will not work for others.
Tips That May Work For You!
Luring bed bugs out of their hiding places is never easy. Some victims describe the task as a “success or failure” as some have success while the remainder failed miserably. Whatever the case may be, there are other tips that may work for your specific bed bug hiding needs. Do not give up so easiy because what fails the first time might work the next time.
If you try and fail over and over again, it may be time to call in the experts. We work extended work schedules to deliver the best pest control service to the residents of Livonia. Contact our local office to learn more about this service.